Founder & Head Instructor - Relic Wessels
Unlike most, Relic did not grow up in a martial arts family, nor did he attend any formal martial arts school as a child. Unfortunately, he grew up with a difficult childhood in a district known as Manenberg. Manenberg is an area known for street fights and gang violence. Growing up surrounded by violence and poverty has given him the ability to understand the psychology of criminals, the escalation of violence from a verbal confrontation, predatory behavior, and the reality of aggression and violent attacks.
After moving out of the family house at the age of 19, he lived with friends and worked for them in order to pay for food and a place to stay. At the age of 20, he got a second job on the weekend and finally started his formal martial arts career at the local Muay Thai gym. Since then life has been about making up for lost time, which is why he dedicated himself to training every day, various martial arts. When his training partners would do 100 kicks, Relic would push to do 130, when his training partners would sit around chatting or smoking before class, Relic would arrive 30mins early and be training on his own as they waited for the instructor to arrive.
Over the years Relic has done many styles of martial arts and all of them had something amazing to offer, but none of them answered all the questions, there was always something missing... Example - He stopped Muay Thai because it became too hard on his body. Relic has always been one of the smallest guys, at a weight of 58kg. He always picked up injuries from his bigger training partners and if he was limping home one night and got attacked, he would not be able to defend himself, which made the training useless... He stopped Ninjutsu because there was not enough contact training and sparring, and he became unsure of whether the techniques would actually work in a real fight, where an opponent is resisting and fighting back. Judo is another great martial art, but because he was 58kg, once his bigger training partners grabbed his Judo uniform, he was unable to break the grip before being thrown, and injured when the bigger partner landed on him.
By growing up surrounded by real violence, by the experience he gained in the formal martial arts world, and by traveling around the world to learn different martial arts from real champions, Relic decided to open his own school and create his own martial art. A South African martial art. A martial art which would protect any student (regardless of size) and their family in a worse case scenario. A martial art which would become an effective combat sport. A martial art which could be tested and proven effective against a resisting opponent, without the burden of serious injury. A martial art which would become an excellent form of fitness. The martial art, Ruko - React with Unforeseen Knowledge and Onslaught.
To this day, Relic is still obsessed with martial arts. He continues to travel around the world, learning and refining his martial art skills. Monday's he trains as a student of Submission Wrestling, after that class, he trains Taekwondo at a different school. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday's, he teaches and trains Ruko with his students. Thursday's he trains as a student of Brazilian Jui Jitsu, after that class, he goes to train Taekwondo again. Saturday mornings depending on upcoming competitions, he would train Submission Wrestling or Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Sunday mornings he practices various kicking and footwork drills.
"Its not work, I love it. I'm just enjoying life, if I died tomorrow, it would be with no regret." - Relic Wessels
Relic's Fight Record and Competition Experience
2012 -60kg Western Province Trails Judo Champion
2014 SAGA (South Africa Grappling Association) Bantamweight Jujitsu Champion
2014 SAGA (South Africa Grappling Association) Bantamweight Submission Wrestling/Grappling Champion
2017 SAGA (South Africa Grappling Association) Light Open-Weight Jujitsu Champion
2017 SAGA (South Africa Grappling Association) Featherweight Submission Wrestling/Grappling Champion
Gold Medal [-60kg Division in 2014 Destiny SAGA - South African Grappling Association] 30.08.2014
Silver Medal [-65kg Division in Alpha 1 No Gi - Alpha Grappling League] 27.06.2015
Bronze Medal [-65kg Division in ADCC - South Africa, Cape Town] 20.09.2015
Silver Medal [-65kg Division in ADCC - South Africa, Cape Town] 07.09.2016
Gold Medal [SUBMISSION ONLY: -66kg Division in Alpha 8 No Gi - Alpha Grappling League] 19.08.2017
Bronze Medal [SUBMISSION ONLY: Open Weight Division in Alpha 8 No Gi - Alpha Grappling League] 19.08.2017
Gold Medal [-65kg Division in South African ADCC] 10.09.2017
Loss [16 Man Open Weight / Absolute Division in South African ADCC] 10.09.2017
Gold Medal [60-66kg Feather Weight Division in 2017 Destiny SAGA - South African Grappling Association] 07.10.2017
Jiujitsu / Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:
Bronze Medal [-65kg Division in 2013 Cape Town International Open] 07.12.2013
Gold Medal [-65kg Division in 2014 Mother City Winter Open] 09.08.2014
Bronze Medal [-76kg Light Open Weight Division in 2014 Mother City Winter Open] 09.08.2014
Gold Medal [SUBMISSION ONLY: -70kg Light Open Weight Division in 2014 Destiny SAGA - South African Grappling Association 30.08.2014
2nd Place [-70kg Division in Team Renzo Gracie vs Team Gracie Jiu Jitsu In House] 27.09.2014
Bronze Medal [-64kg Division in 2014 Mother City Winter Open] 14.03.2015
Gold Medal [SUBMISSION ONLY: 61.6kg-65.5kg Bantam Weight Division in 2017 Destiny SAGA - South African Grappling Association] 07.10.2017
3rd Place [SUBMISSION ONLY: Open Weight / Absolute Division in 2017 Destiny SAGA - South African Grappling Association] 07.10.2017
Silver Medal [-60Kg Division in Western Province Trails] 03.03.2012
Gold Medal [-60Kg Division in Western Province Trails] 17.03.2012
Silver Medal [-60Kg Division in Western Province Trails] 05.10.2012
Silver Medal [61-66Kg Division in Western Province Trails] 05.10.2012
Silver Medal [61-66Kg Division in Bellville Judo Club 51st Anniversary Open Tournament]18.04.2015
Silver Medal [61-66Kg Division in Western Province Trails] 09.05.2015
2007 - 0 Wins and 1 Loss in South Africa [Dragon Power Fight Night]
Relic's Martial Arts Background
1. Koga Ryu Ninjutsu: Brown Belt / 1st Kyu [2008 - 2014]
2. Bujinkan Ninjutsu: While Studying Koga Ryu Ninjutsu
3. American Kenpo Karate: 2012 - 2014
4. Judo: 2011 - 2015
5. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu / BJJ: 2013 - Current
6. Submission Wrestling: 2014 - Current
7. Greco Roman Wrestling: 2015 in South Africa and 2016 in Turkey
8. Freestyle Wrestling: 2015 - 2016
9. WTF Taekwondo: 2016 - Current
10. Muay Thai: Advance Level [2006 - 2008 in South Africa and 2014 in Thailand]
11. Boxing: Advance Level [2006 - 2008 in South Africa and 2014 in Thailand]
12. Wing Chun: 2008 and 2013
13. Systema: 2012
I have done various martial arts with many teachers over the years, below is a list of some but not all of them:
1. Judo: Alex Butcher - Ian Geustyn [Commonwealth Games: Gold Medal, All African Games: Bronze Medal] - Relic Wessels.
2. Submission Wrestling & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Renzo Gracie - John Danaher - Kurdt George, Dennis Yang, Matthew Taylor and Richard Lowe - Relic Wessels.
3. American Kenpo Karate: Ed Parker - Rainer Schulte - Graham Knowles - Michael Thomas - Andre' Solomon and Marcelino Fagan - Relic Wessels.
4. Freestyle & Greco Roman Wrestling [South Africa]: Hayden and Ryan Abrahams - Relic Wessels
5. Turkish Greco Roman Wrestling [Istanbul, Turkey]: Mustafa Arici - Furkan Dere, Erhan and Ayhan Karakus [Multiple Time Medalist and Champions in International Tournaments and Turkish Olympic Wrestlers] - Relic Wessels
6. Koga Ryu Ninjutsu: Barry Pictor and Ben Mangels - Sven Holfelder - Michael Hayes - Relic Wessels.
7. Koga Ryu Ninjutsu: Barry Pictor and Ben Mangels - Chris Engels - Paul Bothma [change the style to Hakko Kai Ninjutsu], Anton Ferreira, Carl Potgieter, Emile Du Preez and Stuart Davies - Relic Wessels.
8. Wing Chun: Ip Man - Ip Chun - Samuel Kwok and Kyle Pretorius - Relic Wessels.
9. Muay Thai & Boxing [South Africa]: Quentin Chong and Lester Lombard - Relic Wessels.
10. Muay Thai & Boxing [Tiger Muay Thai - Puket, Thailand]: Lamsongkram Chuwattana [WMC / S-1 / Rachadamnuen Stadium Champion] and Laimangkon Chuwattana [Rajadamnern Boxing Champoin] - Relic Wessels.